The Board of Directors provides leadership to a company. The Board needs to demonstrate leadership characteristics and inspire teams to exceed their potential. These selected quotes are meaningful, inspirational and communicate specific leadership characteristics that are important to succeed as a group of Directors and as individuals.
1. “The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority.” –Ken Blanchard. (Board members should wield influence.)
2. “Group Thinking” or lack of courage to ask the tough and strategic questions is the chief weakness on Boards today.” – Pearl Zhu, Digitizing Boardroom: The Multifaceted Aspects of Digital Ready Boards.
3. “What you do has far greater impact than what you say.” –Steven Covey. (The Board should lead by example)
4. “Delegating work works, provided the one delegating works, too.” – Robert Half. (The Board should lead by example)
5. “Good leaders organize and align people around what the team needs to do. Great leaders motivate and inspire people with why they’re doing it. That’s purpose. And that’s the key to achieving something truly transformational.” – Marillyn Hewson
6. “The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.” –Jim Rohn
7. “Too many companies believe people are interchangeable. Truly gifted people never are. They have unique talents. Such people cannot be forced into roles they are not suited for, nor should they be. Effective leaders allow great people to do the work they were born to do.” ~ Warren Bennis
8. A Board through individual Directors can provide leadership to achieve what is quoted below in reference to a person:
“The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it.” -Theodore Roosevelt
“My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even better.” –Steve Jobs
9. “Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” ~ Jack Welch. ( The Board should invest time in growing more leaders for succession)
10. In a world of well-defined problems, directors are required to exercise influence over volatility, manage uncertainty, simplify complexity, and resolve ambiguity in the 21st-century digital environment. – Pearl Zhu, Digitizing Boardroom: The Multifaceted Aspects of Digital Ready Boards